I spoke to Dr. Michelle Groover’s PR and Communications class at Georgia Southern University in April 2017. I provided an overview of my marketing career for college students interested in pursuing jobs in PR or social media.
Overly honest (?) moment – for the best:
- I forgot it was a class for PR majors, not marketing majors. While improvising, I mentioned my firm belief that social should not be left to hashtag-stuffing PR people – marketers are best to handle. And in-house always beats agency.
- What I’ve learned about social media and PR
- My tips for college graduates starting a career involving social media for brands
A few highlights from my work in social marketing:
- Launching social for RMS Titanic, Inc. (Expedition Titanic dive, syndicating a live feed from the boat to YouTube and Facebook, managing community ranging from Titanic Fanatics to oceanographers to historians, 2010)
- Building an ecommerce-focused social presence for global museum quality exhibitions including Dialog in the Dark, BODIES Revealed, and BODIES…The Exhibition
- Creating a digital strategy and social presence for Avis Budget Group’s largest licensee (local Budget websites and profiles for seven states from Georgia to Utah)
- Special campaign I spearheaded (anti-idling, pro-earth): I Turn It Off in partnership with Sustainable America
- Launching content strategy for a B2B Saas startup in telecom
Follow #GrooverPR to see what Dr. Groover’s class is up to.